It’s upon us. Love it or live with it….the holidays are here.
With that comes the onslaught of guests, full calendars and gifts. Here are some sanity saving tips for surviving the season.
Prep in advance for houseguests so you aren’t scrambling the day of their arrival to have everything ready.
- Take stock of bed linens and towels and see if you need to purchase any freshies before your guests arrive.
- Stock a nice canvas bag or a basket with towels, toiletries, etc so when guests arrive, you just pull it out and they’re set for a comfortable overnight.
- Ask in advance about any food allergies or preferences and see if you can prepare and freeze in advance a meal or two so you have more time to visit with your guests versus spending the whole time in the kitchen.
- Make room in guest room and coat closets for visitors to store clothing.
- Time is precious. Reserve some for yourself and your family so the holidays don’t become a stress-filled marathon.
- Block out some me or family days on your calendar that you will not accept invitations or schedule outings.
- Talk with family about what they really enjoy doing over the holidays and choose wisely when adding items to the calendar.
- Instead of buying your best friend or sibling a material gift, how about the gift of relaxation. Schedule a spa day, movie, hike, sit by the fire and drink hot toddies day.
Stop the madness. You know…the mad rush to find the perfect gift or just any gift because you know someone always gets you one. We’ve all been there but do we have to keep going there?
Have a frank conversation with family and friends with whom you usually exchange gifts. “Do we really all need more stuff?” Lead by example by telling gift givers what you really want.
As you make your gift list, think about what you would really like a loved one to have more of in their life.
- More time
- More exercise
- Better health
- A good laugh
- Can you find a way to gift that to them?
- Give them a coupon for babysitting. Or if you’re short on time too, just pay for a babysitter for them.
- Make them some dinners for their freezer.
- Send them to a healthy cooking class.
- Buy them tickets to a comedy club.
- Take them shopping for new walking shoes.
- Sign them up for Khan Academy or an Online Class.
- Wash their car or buy them a book of car wash coupons.
- Give them a coupon for you to help with a home organizing or cleaning project or The Best One Yet…..buy them a gift certificate for a Professional Organizing or Interior Design Consultation with Housewarming. Nothing better than a beautiful, comfortable and organized home heading into the New Year.
For information on gift certificates and packages, please contact Housewarming at 206-719-1662 or by email at email@example.com
Happy Holidays! I hope your home is filled with joy, your calendar is filled with fun and relaxation and your stocking is lovingly filled with comfort, health and happiness!!